This name is officially written using the Japanese name format, the family name is Gawr.
Gawr Gura is an English Virtual YouTuber associated with hololive, as part of its English (EN) branch first generation of VTubers alongside Ninomae Ina'nis, Takanashi Kiara, Watson Amelia, and Mori Calliope.
Gura is friendly and readily likeable, and often amuses with foolish antics. She has difficulty telling left from right; once sent the entire hololive EN digging for 20 minutes in the wrong direction because she misread a map; often misspells and mispronounces words; once mistook bread for a potato; has trouble remembering her own age; once calculated that 9+10 equals 11; and didn't recognize the term "simp", which she corrected to "shrimp".
Despite her poor math and spelling skills, Gura is shown to be quick-witted, clever, and has vast knowledge of Shark Facts. When questioned on why she was not "boing boing", she excused it by noting that she was more "hydrodynamic". Her skill with fast-paced rhythm games is exceptional, and she is highly ambitious. She is secretly lewd as seen in many instances of her making dirty jokes in the past.
Gura is a descendant of the Lost City of Atlantis, who swam to Earth while saying "It's so boring down there LOLOLOL!" She bought her clothes (and her shark hat) in the human world and she really loves them. In her spare time, she enjoys talking to marine life.
Gura is over nine thousand years old, however she has forgotten her exact age some time after reaching five thousand. When asked, she will produce a random number in the nine thousands.
She was introduced simultaneously on both hololive's and hololive's English Twitter accounts and also on hololive English's YouTube channel in a small video with the rest of the first generation on 8 September 2020. Her Twitter account was created in July, but she only made her first tweet on her official introduction on 8 September. Her YouTube channel was created on 16 July, but she debuted on 13 September.
Gura quickly rose in popularity, becoming the fastest-growing VTuber ever, gaining 100,000 new subscribers every two to five days. On 20 October, just 37 days after her debut, Gura overtook both Shirakami Fubuki and Inugami Korone to become the #1 most subscribed hololive VTuber on YouTube.
On 30 November, Gura reached 1,500,000 YouTube subscribers.
On 22 January, Gura celebrated her 2,000,000 subscriber milestone with a karaoke stream.
Mascots & Fans
- Her mascot is named Bloop, a "long time friend who stays in a bubble 'for the better'." Bloop has an "emergency ration" (非常食) can on his head. According to Gura in a multiple-choice question Bloop is emergency food.
- Like the rest of the holoMyth mascots Bloop was designed by Ninomae Ina'nis.
- Bloop shares its name with the Bloop, an ultra-low-frequency, high amplitude underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 1997. Previously thought to have been caused by a marine animal, it is now believed to have been caused by movement of glaciers.
- Her fanbase is officially called "Chumbuds."
- Her channel members are referred to as MemberShrimp. This is a reference to Gura hearing a fan use the word "simp", to which she replied "I just saw the word 'simp' go by. What is simp? Do you mean shrimp?"
- "See, sometimes, in life, you try and hit life with a 'hoocha!', but then life decides to hit you with a 'hoocha!'. You know what you do, in this predicament? When life hoocha's you? You go AGAIN!"
- "Don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. You know what? Not every adventure comes to a happy ending. Sometimes you just gotta retrace, go back, and start over."
- (On 12 November 2020) "It's officially Christmas!"
- "I don't know, maybe it's not great progress compared to other people, but I'm happy with my progress. And you know what? Quite frankly, that's all that matters. If you spend too much time worrying about, you know, other people's progress and how it matches up to yours then... I don't know, you might forget what really matters, and that's your progress, you know?"
- In Japanese, her name is written 「がうる・ぐら」 ("gauru gura").
- She gives her surname first, Japanese style, even when speaking in English. Takanashi Kiara and Ninomae Ina'nis also does this, while Calliope Mori and Amelia Watson use the English name order when speaking in English.
- Gura is the only member of holoMyth to write her name entirely in hiragana. This is consistent with her poor spelling skills in English.
- Gura comes from Atlantis. On her first solo stream on 13 September 2020, in which she played the shark simulator game Maneater, she said that Atlantis didn't have French fries, so she's not interested in returning.
- She likes food. She also enjoys a hobby known in Atlantis as "PWWIE" (people watching without intent to eat), but she claims humans don't taste good so viewers don't have to worry.
- When Moona Hoshinova joked during a Minecraft stream that she wanted to turn Gura into shark soup and Watson Amelia replied with "It's a good thing detectives aren't very tasty", referring to herself, Gura replied with "I beg to differ, I beg to differ". It's possible she was just saying it as a joke.
- Her favorite food is salmon, which she has misspelled as "salman". She enjoys drinking a carton of "salmon milk". She also likes eating pizza, McDonald's hamburgers, mint chocolate chip ice cream, and baby food.
- Gura's favorite games are Muse Dash, Taiko no Tatsujin, Rhythm Heaven, Borderlands, and Resident Evil. Her favorite video game in her childhood was Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue.
- She likes Konosuba and even had the pleasure to read the entirety of volume 1 on stream in partnership with Bookwalker. Her audience also took pleasure in knowing the stream doubled as an audiobook as the series has yet have a English release in the format.
- Her favorite color is blue.
- Gura dislikes hot sand, and her biggest fear is having people hear her stomach noises.
- Her birthday, 20 June, is the same date the 1975 film Jaws was released. Gura says that this is not her actual birthday, which she cannot remember, but rather the anniversary of her arrival on land after she left Atlantis.
- Her goals are playing Twister with the other hololive EN 1st-gen members in a 3D collaboration, playing the scariest horror games with a heart rate monitor, and learning to play the banjo.
- During her debut, Gura misspelled multiple words: salmon as "salman", stomach as "stomak", Twitter as "Tiwtter", and Twister as "tiwster". This trend would continue later with her mispronouncing "almond milk" as "Ame milk", "iron" as "arm", and misreading "she will die" as "she while dee". In recent streams, these occurrences are either very rare or nonexistent.
- Gura amazed viewers in her debut by singing "Ride on Time" by Tatsuro Yamashita, impressing them with her singing skill, music taste, and flawless Japanese pronunciation (despite not actually being fluent in Japanese). This is the origin of her nickname "City Pop Shark".
- Her first tweet was a simple "a" as Gura tested Twitter. During her debut stream, the first thing she said was "a" with reverb. This has since become popular with her fanbase to the point of being her most recognized meme.
- Gura used to begin streams with a "shark fact" - a random piece of shark-themed trivia. The facts varied from actual trivia about sharks to nonsensical/humorous bits she could come up with on the spot.
- Gura, affectionately referred to as "Same-chan" (さめちゃん), regularly charms her senior members of hololive due to her cuteness and kindness, sometimes making them act unlike their usual selves. For example:
- Gura sent a private video message containing her singing a special birthday song in Japanese to Murasaki Shion, which caused her to gush and desire to protect her, an uncharacteristic trait of the typically rude kusogaki.
- In another instance when her chat was poking fun at Gura's chest, Uruha Rushia, without going yandere, responded to her own chat desperately begging to make fun of her chest in place of Gura's, also uncharacteristic of her due to her threatening death to anybody who calls her flat.
- She claims that she is not "boing boing" (a synonym for "big-breasted" popularized by Uruha Rushia), because aquatic beings need to be hydrodynamic.
- Although when viewed under a scientific microscope, large breasts are typically irrelevant for both effective aerodynamacy as well as hydrodynamacy.
- While Gura doesn't mind being called flat, or even pretends to be offended for fun, she does get irritated at the repetition of the joke coming her way from the chat for her audience's lack of originality or change in the joke. This sometimes prompts her to bite back at her audience with thick layers of sarcasm.
- Gura's favorite type of shark, other than herself, is the salmon shark. Gura names her own species as "Gura shark".
- During one of her Fall Guys streams, she claimed that "Gura" was an acronym for "Giant Underwater Rubber Animal".
- Calling monetary supporters of VTubers "shrimps" has spread beyond Gura, becoming a normal part of the community lexicon.
- The clapping sound often heard in her streams can be attributed to her tail thrashing around excitedly.
- Gura attributes the stitches in her tail to an event long ago where her tail was trapped beneath a bolder in an underwater ravine. She cannot remember how she got the bite marks in her tail.
- Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN - YouTube channel
- Gawr Gura's corporate profile on hololive.tv (EN)
- Gawr Gura's corporate profile on hololive.tv (JP)
- @gawrgura - Twitter account
- がうるぐら - Nicovideo Encyclopedia
- がうるぐら - Pixiv Encyclopedia
- 噶嗚·古拉 - Moegirl Encyclopedia
- Gawr Gura - Hololive Fan Wiki
- From hololive's official website based on JST
- amsrntk3 (2020, September 9) ホロライブEnglishの、Gawr Gura(@gawrgura)ちゃんのキャラクターデザインを担当させていただきました( oᴗo )！とっっっても可愛いのでよろしくお願いいたします💙🔱🦈 [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/amsrntk3/status/1303659200547975169
- Shin_umiushi_o (2020, September 12) ホロライブEnglish がうる ぐら/Gawr Gura (@ gawrgura)さんのLive2D Riggingを担当させていただきました。 Illustration：甘城なつき(@ amsrntk3)お歌、可愛くて優しくてとても素敵でした！Congratulations on your debut！#hololiveEnglish #holomyth [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/Shin_umiushi_O/status/1304907477293572096
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN][DEBUT STREAM](2020, September 13) SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU?t=533
- [Profile on hololive.tv] Retrieved from https://en.hololive.tv/portfolio/items/584533
- hololivetv (2020, September 8) 【🎉🎉 速報 🎉🎉】／#ホロライブ から英語圏グループ「ホロライブEN」のデビューが決定‼✨ ＼ 🔽詳細はこちら🔽 https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000296.000030268.html#holoMyth #hololiveEnglish #ホロライブプロダクション [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/hololivetv/status/1303531339220566019
- hololive_En (2020, September 8) [🎉Major Announcement🎉] Check out the full video here: https://youtu.be/8c4_22LjGQo The time is close. #holoMyth #hololiveEnglish [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/hololive_En/status/1303535254993395713
- [hololive English] (2020, September 8) Hololive English -Myth- Debut PV : Time is Close #holomyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/8c4_22LjGQo
- gawrgura (2020, September 8) a [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/gawrgura/status/1303528216494092288
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, September 13)[DEBUT STREAM] SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU
- gawrgura (2020, October 22) Thank you. I am an overwhelmed, but very happy shark. Thank you to each of my hard working senpai, and all of you. From my big shark heart, thank you.😭🔱💙[Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/gawrgura/status/1319328921305964544
- Gawr. G [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2021, January 17) [SKYRIM] FUS RO DA [MASTER LEVEL] [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/Fn_-41k38DE
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2021, January 23) [2MILLION PARTY] HOLOLIVE KARAOKE!! [Video File] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwHCC4stu8
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, September 13)[DEBUT STREAM] SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU?t=1849
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, October 5)[DARK DECEPTION] AGAIN! #GAWRGURA #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/6p058FW3BVQ?t=4524
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, October 10)[MINECRAFT] HOLO EN SERVER #HololiveEnglish [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/NS3_sNTwIRw?t=7788
- [DuDul] (2020, November 26) It's officially Christmas! 【Gawr Gura Hololive animation】Retrieved from https://youtu.be/rWc9XuqwoLI (from unarchived karaoke stream on 12 Nov)
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, November 16) [MINECRAFT] More like BUILDcraft [Video File], 1hr 36m 55s. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/A-nYDXNafUU&t=1h36m55s
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN](2020, September 13)[DEBUT STREAM] SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU?t=799
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN](2020, September 13)[DEBUT STREAM] SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU?t=517
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN](2020, September 13)[DEBUT STREAM] SHAAAAAARK #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/dBK0gKW61NU?t=220
- [TABS] Gura is Battle Master #GAWRGURA #hololiveEnglish #holoMyth [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/IWRRxHDuqlU?t=519
- Gawr, G [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, October 12)[MINECRAFT] TIME TO ENCHANT #GAWRGURA #HololiveEnglish [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/3_mDtToNWLQ?t=6360
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, September 30)[FALL GUYS] SHARKOUR!! #GAWRGURA #HololiveEnglish Retrieved from https://youtu.be/wVFL5nf9t5M?t=2240
- Gawr, G. [Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN] (2020, December 30) [MINECRAFT] Workin on my house [Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/LVmhc1vsDEs?t=9576
📔 This article has a visitor log. So far, at least 50 people have signed it. (Jan 2021)