Kiryu Coco (桐生ココ) is a female Japanese Virtual YouTuber associated with hololive, as part of its fourth generation of VTubers alongside Tsunomaki Watame, Tokoyami Towa, Amane Kanata and Himemori Luna.
Coco is an outspoken, irreverent individual who often employs crude humor, speech (using "ass" instead of "butt" or "shit" instead of "crap") and swearing, but she isn't as outright lewd as some members like Matsuri. She also enjoys teasing other members and most segments of her morning news show consists of teasing other hololive members over technical difficulties of failings on stream.
She often pushes the boundaries of what Vtubers can do on YouTube by using thumbnails of her flipping the bird or her questionable content. Despite that, Coco is probably one of the biggest hearted members of hololive. During a live stream of The Raft with Aqua, Aqua shared her feelings about how difficult the life of a virtual Idol could be and Coco gave some truly kind words of encouragement that nearly brought Aqua to tears.
She's also playful and fun-loving. She started the hololive "ARK Addiction" because she wanted them all to play the game together (going as far as to buy Roboco her copy of ARK: Aberration when she discovered that she'd purchased ARK: Extinction instead) and usually comes to the aid of the other players when the experience technical problems. This is further showed by the fact that, unlike the Nijisanji ARK server, which is PvP, Coco's is PvE. She proposed the construction of a 'hololive house' for all the hololive streamers to live together and help take care of each other.
Coco loves the Yakuza video game series and streams it often. Her love for Yakuza goes as far that she is called "Kaichou/ 会長" (chairman), which is a title associated with the yakuza and shared by her favorite character, Kazuma Kiryu.
Her Twitter account was created on November 2019, while her first tweet was made on 25 December, her YouTube channel was created on 4 December and her debut stream was on 28 December.
On 7 February after being rejected for monetization from the start, her channel became monetizable.
On 14 February, less than two months after her debut, she published on Twitter that she reached two hundred thousand subscribers.
On 22 June, she announced on her Twitter account that she would get her 3D model.
On 27 June, she debuted her 3D model during a stream, being the first of her generation to do so.
- Her fanbase is officially called "Tatsunoko" (たつのこ).
- She is the presenter of a 20-minute-long satirical Morning News Digest called AsaCoco Live News (あさココLIVEニュース). Parodying a news anchor, Coco presents news related to her, her fourth generation colleagues and hololive in a humorous way. AsaCoco Live News is livestreamed on her channel on weekdays at 6:00 AM JST.
- AsaCoco is also the name of a (fictional) mind-altering drug that Coco sometimes advertises during her show. According to Coco, it is the AsaCoco Live News show itself, in chemical form. It has come in many, many varieties over the run of AsaCoco Live News, including:
- A makeshift version of her tail that is meant to be inserted anally.
- Drinks, gas canisters, and injections, lotions, anti-smoking patches, germ-killing disinfectants, muscle drinks that instantly buff people up.
- Pills meant to be slipped into drinks of people yet to watch AsaCoco.
- Eyedrops that actually contain a blade in the dropper to kill people that don't like Asacoco.
- So far, symptoms of an AsaCoco overdose have included: Ahegao (O-face), incoherent babbling, repeating of the word Ochinchin (only in the case of improper usage), addiction, dilated pupils, and in the case of 'Calorie Burning AsaCoco,' instantly growing muscles and increased bust and butt size.
- Like Akai Haato, Civia and Artia, she is proficient in English, and she uses American English pronunciation for English words rather than the Japanese pronunciation (e.g. "V-tuber" as opposed to "V-chubah ビ·チュウバー" ), which makes some fans think that she is an English native speaker with Japanese being her second language.
- Her Japanese is slightly accented, and she frequently uses the phrase nanto (なんと / somehow) and the jargon expression kusa (草 / the Japanese version of the word LOL). This has evolved to her encouraging English speaking viewers to say 'grass' when something funny happens, as kusa means grass.
- Coco refers to her senior members of hololive with the "paisen" (パイセン) honorific, a slang term for "senpai" (先輩).
- At 180 cm (5'11") in height, Coco is the tallest among the hololive members.
- She claims to currently hold the RTA world record in using the bathroom.
- Coco's right dragon-horn bares a distinct bright yellow surface that joins with her usual brown horn-texture in a scratchy-looking pattern, making her horns somewhat asymmetrical. Coco addressed this in an episode of AsaCoco Live News, explaining that her right horn was indeed scratched and it likely happened when she accidentally bumped into a light-pole or a door-frame. Apparently Coco suffers from a bit of clumsiness and endures mishaps like this often as a result of her still getting used to having a body that is in human-form. Coco also stated that her bust-size has caused her similar painful mishaps.
- She doesn't own a Nintendo Switch, and gets many donations during streams to buy her own, but she refuses to do so.
- She is the first hololive main branch and second overall to be a moderator in official hololive Subreddit.
- Her surname "Kiryu" (桐生 ) is written with the exact same kanji as her favorite character from Yakuza, Kiryu Kazuma (桐生 一馬).
- Coco's growth in popularity after joining hololive has been notably rapid. Within two weeks of her debut she already had more than 100,000 subscribers on YouTube. Less than four months after that, she had more than 300,000 subscribers. Coco's channel has maintained an average of 1,500 to 2,000 new subscribers per day since her debut.
- Despite only debuting at the end of 2019, she is currently one of the hololive girls with the most subscribers surpassing a lot of veteran members. This growth is speculated by fans to be due a number of factors, including her consistency to produce new episodes of AsaCoco Live News as a short but entertaining program for Vtuber fans, and her ability to appeal to both Japanese and English-speakers even before Asacoco started to get subtitles. Many fans have cited her clever use of the other members, featuring them and giving them special segments on the show to spread their appeal around.
- Coco has referenced her father several times on AsaCoco Live News, including reading letters he sent to her in the human world to show his support for her Vtuber career. During these instances Coco displayed a picture of what her father supposedly looked like with pixelization over his eye-line in order to protect his identity. Despite this, Coco's supposed father can be seen by viewers to very clearly be Shenron from the Dragon Ball franchise.
- Coco proposed the creation of hololive USA on Asacoco and showcased the first "idol", an overweight, middle-age smoker named "Coco Kaine", at first meant to be a joke, became real when her designer drew a young version of Coco Kaine which, ironically, got more likes than Coco's art (something she was quite jealous of). Now there are English viewers asking for the debut of young Coco Kaine ever since the announcement of auditions for hololive EN.
- Coco currently has earned the most money from super chat messages out of any streamer on YouTube worldwide (at least since super chats started being tracked).
- Coco Ch. 桐生ココ - YouTube channel
- Kiryu Coco's corporate profile on hololive.tv (EN)
- Kiryu Coco's corporate profile on hololive.tv (JP)
- @kiryucoco - Kiryu Coco's official Twitter account
- @kiryucoco - Kiryu Coco's Marshmallow account
- 桐生可可Official - Kiryu Coco's official bilibili channel
- /u/CocoKiryu - Kiryu Coco's Reddit account
- 桐生可可 - Moegirl Encyclopedia
- ↑ Kiryu, C. [Coco Ch. 桐生ココ] (2020, June 16)桐生ココ40万人記念＆お誕生日を一緒にカウントダウン！お祝いだ！[Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/ezMiRezzaPc?t=4152
- ↑ Kiryu, C. [Coco Ch. 桐生ココ] (2019, December 28) 【#桐生ココ初配信】はじめまして、人間！ホロライブ【ホロライブ4代目会長】[Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/0ngDDHw45AM?t=602
- ↑ HoloLive Moments (2020, April 14)【Coco x Aqua】In times of need, a good friend is a must【Maidragon】[Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/K3iUsK8JkQ0
- ↑ kiryucoco (2019, December 25) Hey guys and girls and all human beings!! はじめまして！桐生ココです。 ホロライブ仲間に入門です！ 人間の言葉と、日本語、今は勉強をしていますから、あふれるこの気持ちを助けてくださいね。 本職はドラゴンカタギ よろしくお願いしました #桐生ココ #ホロライブ #Vtuber #拡散希望 [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1209753583572246528
- ↑ kiryucoco (2020, February 7) おええええええええええええええええええええええええええええええええええええ！！？！？！？！再申請まだなのぃぃぃぃぃいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい？！？！？！？！？！？！？！？！！！ 収益化できてるうううううううううううううううううううううううううう！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！[Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1225993617782689792
- ↑ kiryucoco (2020, February 14) チャンネル登録者20万人！！とっても嬉しいです！ありがとうございます！ デビューをして7週間、アイドルとして上手くできているかな？と思うばかりのでしたが 愛されていることは24時間感じていました！ 皆さんのおかげ！愛しています！ #桐生ココ [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1228403075213189121
- ↑ kiryucoco (2020, April 18) [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1251481107188465667
- ↑ kiryucoco (2020, April 23) みんな！ みんな！ みんな！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！！ #桐生ココ出所 [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1253368251926540288
- ↑ kiryucoco (2020, June 22) 今週の土曜日！！ 🐉6/27 21:00～初3D配信🐉 待ちに待った3Dお披露目です！ どうか！40万人(半分以上死んでる疑惑)のチャンネル登録者のみなさん！この日は見守りに来てほしい・・・！ #JointhefutureJP #桐生ココ3D ▽チャンネルURL↓枠出来るまで待っててね！▽ https://youtube.com/channel/UCS9uQI-jC3DE0L4IpXyvr6w [Tweet] Retrieved from https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1275181951519879169
- ↑ Kiryu, C. [Coco Ch. 桐生ココ] (2020, June 27)【#桐生ココ3D】桐生ココ3Dお披露目！#ホロふぉーす始動！ 【#JointhefutureJP】[Video File] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/9a7_lq72xlk
- ↑ https://twitter.com/hololive_En/status/1310226779739623427
- ↑ Playboard: World's Biggest Superchat Earner is Virtual YouTuber Kiryu Coco [News] Retrieved from https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-08-22/playboard-world-biggest-superchat-earner-is-virtual-youtuber-kiryu-coco/.163103