Nanashi Mumei (七詩ムメイ) is an English-language Virtual YouTuber associated with hololive. She debuted in 2021 as part of hololive -Council-, the second generation of members of hololive English, alongside Tsukumo Sana, Ceres Fauna, Ouro Kronii and Hakos Baelz.
A member of the Council and the Guardian of "Civilization," a concept crafted by mankind.
As a living embodiment of the sum of mankind's efforts—the mark that humans have left on the world—she is far removed from her fellow members, as well as other lifeforms. Due to not being created by the Gods, she was free to choose her own appearance, and decided to make herself owl-like, after the bird that symbolizes wisdom.
She is gentle, wise, and an unbelievably hard worker. As a well-traveled vagabond, she is blessed with a wealth of knowledge of the world. She has seen, heard, and experienced so many things that she has forgotten most of them, one of them being her own name.
For some reason, she seems to project a rather pitiable aura. Perhaps this is in part thanks to the loneliness she has often felt in her perennial travels. That is what gave her the idea of making her own friend out of a material that was indispensable to the development of human civilization: paper.
"It may fade and rip, but once a friend, forever a friend."
At debut, Mumei gave the impression of a cheerful, gentle girl who is soft-spoken and somewhat innocent, especially when compared to her peers. She was initially very shy and often visibly nervous during streams.
However, as she has gained confidence in streaming, a different persona has emerged. Mumei’s streams are now characterised by the duality between a relatively low energy, relaxing, and comfortable tone to another side which is more spontaneous and energetic; with her often demonstrating psychopathic tendencies in these moments. Though the disparity between her macabre thoughts and cute voice surprised many at first, the line separating these two sides has since blurred to a point of seamlessness – with Mumei’s appreciation of the grotesque and ‘cursed’ being wholly embraced by Hoomans today.
This can be seen clearly whenever Mumei is asked to draw something; no matter what the original subject was supposed to be, Mumei will often end up drawing something Tim Burton-esque at best, and outright demonic at worst. Some fans theorize that this is simply what observing the accumulated sins of human civilization for thousands of years does to a person.
Despite this, she can be rather emotive, and is known for her hearty wheezing laugh, which is often heard during collabs with Ouro Kronii due to her tendency to laugh at nearly anything she says. She often vocalizes and hums randomly, which has been compared to bird chirps or "birb noises." She's also somewhat scatterbrained, and has a tendency to forget things easily.
At debut, Hakos Baelz described Mumei as having the cutest voice in hololive -Council-, though she has also demonstrated a rather unexpectedly wide vocal range, along with a tendency to emit high-pitched screeches when surprised or agitated. Her fans and even other members of hololive, particularly Ceres Fauna, have developed some degree of protectiveness for her, due to her soft nature giving a "little sister" vibe, though Mumei's later behavior would eventually create uncertainty as to who needs to be protected from whom.
Nanashi Mumei has golden-brown eyes and long, brown ponytail hair with a pair of feathers atop her head. She dresses in a brown cloak secured with a ribbon. Mumei also wears gloves that are fingerless on her index and pinky fingers. She has a belt wrapped around her waist with a lantern, pouch, and small dagger around it. Below her outfit is a pleated skirt. She has leggings with her right leg reaching above her thighs and the left leg below her thighs, and wears brown boots. Friend flying beside her is a paper bag with a drawn mouth and a plaster shaped like a cross on his face.
Following the success of hololive English in 2020 and 2021, COVER Corporation announced auditions for a second batch of English members from 12 February to 26 March 2021. Twitter accounts for the five new members were created in June 2021 and YouTube accounts created on 26 July 2021.
Teaser videos for the new generation began on the official hololive English YouTube Channel in August 2021. On 1 August, "Prelude" revealed a story of gods creating the four concepts of space, nature, time, and civilization. On 14 August, "Omen" described the creation of avatars of those four concepts plus that of the primordial force of Chaos, revealing five silhouettes. On 17 August, "Council" revealed the five new hololive English members and announced a grand debut scheduled for the coming weekend. Although the traditional term "generation" was not officially used to refer to the new members, who had been referred to as "hololive English Generation 2" by fans, the new members nonetheless formed a group known as "-Council-".
Upon conclusion of the Council debut PV, all five new members' Twitter and YouTube accounts were revealed, and each made their first tweet. Twitter quickly restricted Nanashi Mumei and Ouro Kronii's accounts due to the sudden increase in followers.
On 17 August 2021, around 24 hours after the initial announcement, Nanashi Mumei reached 100,000 YouTube subscribers before her debut. However, YouTube soon removed around half of this number, possibly due to the sudden subscriber growth on a channel with no videos yet, which may have triggered a YouTube anti-bot algorithm.
Nanashi Mumei's debut was scheduled for 22 August. However, the -Council- debuts were postponed for 24 hours due to unspecified technical issues, which members jokingly blamed on the "EN curse", a perceived tendency for hololive English members to suffer from unexpected technical problems. The debuts were rescheduled at the same time on Sunday 22 August (US/Europe time) or Monday 23 August (Japan time).
Mumei made her debut stream on Monday 23 August at 6:30 AM JST (22 August 2021 at 2:30 PM PDT, 10:30 PM BST). She was the fourth member of -Council- to debut. The stream had a peak viewer count of over 90,000, and she reached over 100,000 subscribers by the start of the stream. She previewed an unnamed original song.
On 26 August, Mumei reached 200,000 YouTube subscribers. She had previously reached this milestone on 23 August, but a number of subscribers had been removed by a YouTube anti-bot algorithm.
On 5 September, Mumei's channel got approved for monetization.
On 22 September, Mumei reached 300,000 YouTube subscribers.
On 24 September, her channel became open for memberships.
On 30 October, Mumei reached 400,000 YouTube subscribers.
On 20 December, Mumei and the rest of hololive EN collaborated on a cover song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" by Frederic Austin, which was also her first official cover song.
On 1 January, Mumei reached 500,000 YouTube subscribers. She is the 47th hololive member to reach this milestone.
On 6 January, hololive's Twitter account announced that both Myth and Council members would get new year costumes.
On 15 January, Mumei debuted her second 2D costume, a kimono to celebrate the new year. In this costume, Mumei got a new hairstyle: short hair with a braided lock in the front to her right side. While claiming in the past that she had never pierced her ears, for this outfit reveal Mumei pierced her left ear to wear an earring. Her kimono is white and has a pattern of flowers and feathers, alongside white lace gloves and dark brown boots. The obi is dark brown with a plaid pattern. On top of it, the obi has a textured white lace and is decorated by a thin green ribbon. Mumei holds a small basket with a green ribbon. Inside of it, there is a small light brown eagle-owl. On its forehead, the owl has feathers with a "loading" circle pattern. Mumei can also wear a dark brown beret with two feathers in the top and a red shawl. Mumei's mascot, Friend, also receives a top hat and bow tie.
On 17 January, Mumei released a full MV of her first original song "A New Start."
On 25 March, Mumei reached 600,000 YouTube subscribers right at the start of an endurance karaoke stream where she sang her song "A New Start" in multiple variants, voices, and settings.
On 20 July, during a stream on Mumei's channel -Council- and IRyS debuted "Beeg Smol" 3D models designed by Sana.
- Main page: Nanashi Mumei/Discography
|A New Start||1st single||17 January 2022|
|Digital Release • Music Video • YouTube|
- On 26 October 2021, Anime NYC announced that every holoCouncil member would be appearing at Anime NYC.
- On 14 July 2022, Crunchyroll Expo's Twitter account announced that Mumei and other members of hololive English would be appearing in "Crunchyroll Expo 2022," which would be held from 5 to 7 August 2022.
Mascots and Fans
- Her fanbase is officially named "Hoomans," a portmanteau of "hoo," a sound that owls make, and "humans."
- Her channel's members are named "Owl Pals."
- Her mascot is a paper bag. She gave him no name, because she is afraid she might forget his name. Instead, she simply refers to him as "Friend," because she will never forget that he is her friend.
- Mumei's New Year costume included a handbasket holding a small owl, which she can also display on its own. In July 2022, Mumei revealed that she had decided to call the owl Hootsie.
- Notable units and groups Mumei is part of:
- "Civilization is proof of humankind's footsteps. We cannot advance simply by building. Never forget who you really are."
- "Well, well I'm, I'm gonna make sure, you, you all, I'm gonna... I'mma make sure you... you, I... I'mma do it."
- "thank you. you have given me a purpose. i am eternally grateful. :)"
- "a time... will come... in time..."
- "Oh hi!"
- "Thank you [Superchatter] for the (supa/aka supa/sticker), don don! (hitting gavel)"
- "Civilization is temporary, humanity is temporary, you are all going to die one day!"
- Both "Nanashi" and "Mumei" mean "anonymous." This refers to her canonical inability to remember her original name.
- The name "Nanashi" is written with the kanji 「七詩」, meaning "seven" and "poetry."
- The name "Mumei" is written in katakana, often used to write foreign names. The word "mumei" is usually written in Japanese with the kanji 「無名」.
- Nanashi, meaning "anonymous," is perhaps best known in Japanese internet pop culture as the default username on the popular Japanese forum 2channel. Nanashi is also occasionally used as a Japanese given name, such as the name of the protagonist of the video game Akiba's Trip.
- Mumei reads her name in Eastern order, like Gawr Gura, Ninomae Ina'nis, Takanashi Kiara, and Ceres Fauna.
- Mumei is the only member of the five of her generation who was not created by the gods. Instead, she is the living embodiment of mankind's efforts on the world.
- Her job as the Guardian of Civilization is to collect and record human history so that it isn't forgotten, as well as encourage the success of humankind as a whole. However, she herself is also prone to forgetting things.
- Mumei's current name is merely the one she last remembers receiving. Her original name is unknown.
- Mumei's form was inspired by the owl, a creature which represents wisdom.
- Mumei created her own friend from paper, a material valuable to mankind's development thanks to the value of writing as a store of knowledge.
- She has the ability to take the form of an owl. She claims that switching forms too much in the past turned her brain more bird than human, resulting in her memory problems.
- Her age is unknown, as she has forgotten it. However, going from the trends of her genmates, Mumei is likely as old as human civilization, which would make her the youngest member of the Council, as Civilization is much younger than the ages provided by the council members (the ages Earth, the universe, and infinity). Logically, the existence of Civilization, an artificial creation, is far younger than abstract concepts like Nature, Space, Time, and Chaos.
- If Mumei is assumed to be as old as recorded civilization, it would put her at 5,000-6,000 years old; if she is instead assumed to be as old as humanity (ie. Homo sapiens), this would make her about 200,000-300,000 instead. In her debut stream, she remarked that she has been recording human history for about 6,000 years, making it likely the former.
- Hakos Baelz has the potential to be younger than Mumei, as her age is randomized. However, as the concept of primordial Chaos, she logically far predates humanity or human civilization.
Likes and dislikes
- Mumei likes obtaining knowledge, vegetable broth, drawing stuff, and singing.
- She dislikes forgetting things, mud, printers, and mosquitoes.
- Her favorite anime are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Bokurano, and Made in Abyss.
- Her favorite manga are Tokyo Ghoul, To Your Eternity, and Promised Neverland.
- Her favorite music genres are folk, JPop, Vocaloid, and "pop punk metal with yelling."
- Her favorite games are simulators (especially Rollercoaster Tycoon 2), world building games, and rhythm games.
- Her goals are to have a song appear in a rhythm game, learn Japanese (again), collab with senpais, improve and learn new skills, write a song on guitar, and perform a 3D live.
- She has a fondness for berries in video games, a quirk that originated from her first time playing in HoloEN's Minecraft server. On a related note, her favorite flavor of yogurt is raspberry.
- Mumei is accompanied by a paper bag "friend" of her own creation. Its emotions mirror her own.
- Like Nanashi Mumei herself, whose names both mean "nameless," the paper bag friend has no name. Mumei never gave him a name, because she would be upset with herself if she ever forgot his name. She refers to him as "friend" because while she might forget his name, she will never forget that he is her friend.
- The writing on the bottom-left of her paper bag friend's face is in Norse runes, "ᚠᚱᛁᛖᚾᛞ," spelling "FRIEND." They appear to be in either the Elder Futhark alphabet, used primarily in pre-Christian Scandinavia between the 2nd and 8th centuries, or the similar Anglo-Saxon Furthorc alphabet, which continued to be used in what is now Britain until the 11th century. The English word "friend" is itself of Anglo-Saxon and Norse origin, dated to at least the 10th century in the Norse poem Hávamál and Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf, where it originally meant "kinsman." However, the the word written uses on Mumei's friend's face uses a more modern spelling.
- The three glowing orbs around the bag also show Norse runes: ᛒ, ᛟ, and ᛉ. representing the letters B, O, and X or Z (X in the Anglo-Saxon Furthorc, Z in the Norse Elder Futhark).
- In what may be an intentional pun, both "owl" and "bag" in Japanese can be written "fukuro." Paper bag in particular is "kamifukuro," while owl is written "fukuro" or "fukurou."
- Mumei's friend resembles an improvised mask created from a paper shopping bag with eye holes, similar to a sort worn by characters in fiction to preserve their anonymity. Examples of characters include Faust from Guilty Gear. The connection to anonymity is particularly appropriate to the nameless Mumei.
- The concept of bringing an inanimate creature to life by writing runes on it appears in the Hebrew myth of the golem, and later popularized via Dungeons & Dragons. According to the myth, it can be rendered inanimate again by erasing the runes. In one version of the story, the golem is animated by writing on a piece of paper.
- The use of paper and ancient writing is particularly appropriate to Mumei, whose task involves recording the history of civilization in writing.
- Mumei's birthday, 4 August, is International Owl Awareness Day.
- The Egyptian hieroglyphs appear on Mumei's cape, which is a transliteration of "IRA LUXURIA GULA ACEDIA SUPERBIA AVARITIA INVIDIA," the seven deadly sins in Latin. Egyptian hieroglyphs are one of the earliest known writing systems, dating back to around 3,200 BC, while the Latin language dates back to around 600 BC and remained in used as an academic language until the modern era.
- Her golden hair clip is the symbol "ᚱ", the Norse rune equivalent to the modern English letter "R." The significance is unknown, as the letter "R" does not appear in her name, although in Norse rune poems it stands for the word meaning "ride" or "journey".
- Mumei is one of several hololive members who are identified as birds. Previous members include phoenix Takanashi Kiara, peafowl Pavolia Reine, and Oozora Subaru, who is identified by fans as a duck. The next member after her is hawk Takane Lui.
- Mumei's original outfit, including a cape, belt, dagger, and lantern, resembles the archetype of an adventurer of the medieval fantasy roleplaying game genre.
- The feather used as her emoji reflects both her appearance as an owl, and the quill, an animal feather traditionally used as writing instrument.
- A few screenshots show that Mumei initially used the emoji 🦉 (owl) on her Twitter username, but quickly changed it to 🪶 (feather) within hours of the official announcement.
- In English, the sound made by some species of owl is often rendered as "hoo," a homonym for "who" which sometimes appears in jokes (e.g.: "One of us is secretly an owl." "Who?"). This may be an intentional pun on Mumei's theme of anonymity. She used this pun in a tweet shortly before debut: "I wonder hoo will be there.." At debut, she noted that her name could be interpreted to mean "who who," another owl noise.
- Mumei considers theme parks to be one of the peaks of civilization.
- Mumei shares her Live2D modeler with several hololive-affiliated VTubers, including fellow EN members Ninomae Ina'nis, IRyS and Ceres Fauna.
- Mumei is often associated with the I forgor 💀 meme due to her forgetfulness.
- If she is to remember what she forgot, her chat tends to relay the counterpart phrase "she rember," a reference to the I rember 😁 meme.
- Despite this, she herself tends to refrain from saying it on stream. She says this is because "I forgor" is a meme that existed before her debut, and she prefers to use memes that rise organically from her own content.
- Mumei is also associated with the simple text emoji :D due to her regular use of it in her stream descriptions.
- On 21 April 2022, she replaced her old fan art hashtag "#drawMEI" with a new one "#drawingMEI" when she discovered some accounts were using it to share comics.
- Mumei celebrated her birthday on 4 August 2022.
- Unfortunately, Sana couldn't attend because she had graduated on 31 July 2022. Therefore, she sent a congratulatory video instead.
- Also the same day, Mumei's new cover song video have been made private after a few hours of uploading. The cover song was "Dandan Chikaku Naru" by 40mP. The music video was made by Kanauru, featuring bright colors and cute characters for the image part, but the content is rated quite dark. Throughout the video, there are many parts that are said to depict the worst events of humanity from the past. hololive announced that the video has been made private to clarify some questions from some viewers before deciding whether to repost.
- Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN - YouTube channel
- Nanashi Mumei's corporate profile on hololive.hololivepro.com
- nanashimumei_en - Twitter account
- #watchMEI - Stream
- #drawingMEI - Fanart (English/Temporary Alternative)
- #ムメ絵 - Fanart (Japanese)
- #memeMEI - Meme
- #drawMEI - Fanart (English/Old)
- Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN - Social Blade YouTube stats
- 七詩ムメイ - Nicovideo Encyclopedia
- 七詩ムメイ - Pixiv Encyclopedia
- 七诗无名 - Moegirl Encyclopedia
- 나나시 무메이 - Namu Wiki
- Nanashi Mumei - Hololive Fan Wiki
- Rariemonn [@rariemonn765]. (n.d.). Hololive English -議会-所属の七詩ムメイさん(@ nanashimumei_en)のLive2Dモデルを制作させていただきました！I rigged Live2D model of Nanashi Mumei, who belong to hololive EN. [Tweet]. Twitter.
- FELUCCA [@FELUCCACHAN]. (2022, January 15). I rigged the kimono Live2D for Nanashi Mumei, who belongs to HololiveEN! [Tweet]. Twitter.
- SeafoamBoi. (2022, July 20). And once again, I was responsible for modelling both the all the avatars and the entire environment. Thank you Sana for trusting me with your designs, and I hope you all enjoyed the map! [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2021, September 5). 【CELEBRATION】 Super!! Reading + ??? #holoCouncil [Video]. YouTube.
- Osekkaiおせっかい. (2021, September 10). Mumei When Hakos Went to The Toilet【Hololive EN | Nanashi Mumei x Hakos Baelz】 [Video]. YouTube.
- HoloSimper. (2021, September 10). Mumei's 𝐈𝐊𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐍 𝐕𝐎𝐈𝐂𝐄 That Breaks Her Character!【Nanashi Mumei | Hakos Baelz】 [Video]. YouTube.
- /u/hololive. (2021, February 12). [Press Release] 🎉Second Round Auditions for VTuber Group "hololive English" Begins!. Reddit.
- hololive English. (2021, August 1). Prelude｜#holoENPrelude [Video]. YouTube.
- hololive English. (2021, August 14). Omen｜#holoENOmen [Video]. YouTube.
- hololive English. (2021, August 17). 【Debut PV】Council ｜#holoCouncil [Video]. YouTube.
- Ceres, F. [@ceresfauna]. (2021, August 17). oh deer [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Tsukumo, S. [@tsukumosana]. (2021, August 17). i come in pease [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Hakos, B. [@hakosbaelz]. (2021, August 17). dnssɐʍ [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Ouro, K. [@ourokronii]. (2021, August 17). I’m sorry that I’m not a tree but a helicopter, can’t have everything in life. [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [@nanashimumei_en]. (2021, August 17). oh man [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Twitter ban speedrun Any% RTA. (n.d.). Reddit.
- hololive Official [@hololive_En]. (2021, August 21). [Debut Postponement 1/2]We regret to inform you that the debut of hololive English -Council-, originally scheduled from 2 AM, Sunday, August 22 (JST), has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Tsukumo, S. [@tsukumosana]. (2021, August 21). the EN curse is out of this world.... [Tweet]. Twitter.
- hololive Official [@hololive_En]. (2021, August 22). Please check the times (JST) below for the adjusted debut schedule of hololive English -Council-. Sana: Monday, August 23, 2 AM Fauna: Monday, August 23, 3:30 AM Kronii: Monday, August 23, 5 AM Mumei: Monday, August 23, 6:30 AM Baelz: Monday, August 23, 8 AM [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2021, August 23). 【DEBUT STREAM】Oh? OH! #holoCouncil #hololiveEnglish [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2021, September 24). 【MEMBERSHIPS OPEN】A Little Announcement! #holoCouncil [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2021, September 27). 【Minecraft】Bird Brained Birbs ft. @Takanashi Kiara Ch. hololive-EN #holoCouncil [Video]. YouTube.
- hololive production [@hololivetv]. (2022, January 6). 【🎉お知らせ🎉】「ホロライブEnglish」所属VTuberのお正月衣装が発表‼ お披露目リレー配信は、2022年1月9日（日）6時より配信決定✨ [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, January 15). 【NEW OUTFIT REVEAL】New Owl Fit [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, February 22). 【6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY】HOLOCOUNCIL GAME SHOW [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, March 25). 【ENDURANCE】 I Sing Until 600K Subs [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, May 26). I'll Be Back! [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, July 20). 【COUNCIL+IRYS】??! DEBUT [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [@nanashimumei_en]. (2022, August 3). Karaoke tonight :D [Tweet]. Twitter.
- u/Railtracks. (2022, August 3). Congratulations Nanashi Mumei on reaching 700K Subscribers! [Post]. Reddit.
- Anime NYC [@animenyc]. (2021, October 26). #AnimeNYC is proud to welcome hololive English -Council- for their NYC debut! Meet @tsukumosana @ceresfauna @ourokronii @nanashimumei_en @hakosbaelz on stage Friday and enjoy a @hololive_En booth and exclusives all weekend! [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Crunchyroll Expo [@crunchyrollexpo]. (2022, July 14). The Guardian of "Civilization" and a member of the Council, @nanashimumei_en will be joining us at Crunchyroll Expo! [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2021, August 24). 【JOURNEY】Where are we going? #holoCouncil [Video]. YouTube.
- So I was wondering if the glyphs on Mumei's cowl spelled anything. (n.d.). Reddit.
- Holy Shrimp Ch.. (2021, August 25). Mumei Speaks Using Bird Language In Front of Turkey as a Practice to talk to Reine [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, January 8). Mumei Meme Review #memeMEI [Video]. YouTube.
- Nanash, M. [@nanashimumei_en]. (2022, April 21). A lot of the work posted using my original tag has been drowned out or lost, so please repost with these tags instead so myself and others can find them ; _ ; [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanashi, M. [Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN]. (2022, August 4). 【MUMEI'S BIRTHDAY】 Celebration Time !! #itsMeiBday [Video]. YouTube.
- hololive production [@hololivepro_EN]. (2022, August 5). Regarding Nanashi Mumei's recent video upload, Management, Mumei, and other involved parties found that certain aspects of the video may be concerning to some viewers. All parties are looking into this issue together and the video has been privatized at Mumei's request. [Tweet]. Twitter.
- Nanash, M. [@nanashimumei_en]. (2022, August 5). Please don't worry too much about the video! We're just clarifying some things. No bonking here! [Tweet]. Twitter.